Shiatsu with Experienced Registered Massage Therapist
Originating in Japan and based on traditional Chinese medicine, Shiatsu can be translated as “finger pressure”. Shiatsu follows similar principles to acupuncture, stimulating acupuncture points, without using needles. By applying pressure to specific area’s of the body, energy blockages can be released bringing balance and harmony to the patient.
Shiatsu massage is quite different than the more common Swedish Massage techniques you would generally receive during a visit with your RMT. During a shiatsu massage the therapist uses their fingers, thumbs, palms and elbows to apply and hold pressure over specific points that correlate to different area’s or functions within the body. Pressure can vary depending on the patients preference, as well as the area’s being treated and the reason for the treatment.
Shiatsu massage is typically done through the clothing without the application of oil making it an ideal alternative for those uncomfortable with undressing or those with skin sensitivities to oil.
While shiatsu can be beneficial to almost anyone, here is a brief list of just some of the benefits of a shiatsu treatment:
- Decreases muscle tension, stress, anxiety and fatigue
- Increases relaxation
- Provides better sleep quality
- Reduces tension headaches and migraines
- Relieves constipation
- Stimulates circulation and lymphatic drainage
- Alleviates menstrual cramps and bloating
- Reduces the side effects of chemotherapy treatments
- Improves skin conditions and digestive issues